Research & Prepare. Interview Skills.
Engaging & Well Spoken
Preparing for the interview
- Research the company.
- Prepare questions to ask the interviewer about the company and/or position.
- Be prepared with answers to questions you anticipate being asked.
- Get directions and make a “trial run”.
- Plan your wardrobe (professional attire – preferably a suit).
- Prepare a typed list of references.
- Review your resume and prepare copies for each interviewer.
- Role play the interview.
- Go to the interview alone, arrive early, and minimize your belongings.
- Have direct eye contact, be enthusiastic, and smile. You want to impress everyone.
- Never talk negatively about a previous employer.
- Show that you are knowledgeable about the position and company.
- Give a firm handshake and thank the interviewer for his/her time.
- Express your interest in the position and restate why you are a fit.
- Follow-up with a thank you note.
Questions to ask the interviewer
- Why is this position open? What do you think are the most important priorities for being successful in this job?
- What have others found to be the most challenging aspect of this position?
- What are your company’s goals?
- Would it be possible to take a tour of the office in order to see the area that I would be working in?
- Where are you in the interview process? When do you plan to make a decision?
- What do you need in a supervisor? Describe a supervisor you respected. How are you similar or different from that person?
- What have been your least successful relationships at work? What did you do to try to create a better relationship?
- What is a “pet peeve” you have had about an organization or an environment you’ve worked in?
- Describe some of the positives and negatives of your most recent performance evaluation.
- How has your present job developed you to take on even greater responsibilities?
- We have a number of applicants interviewing for this position. Why should we take a closer look at you?
- What accomplishment was the most difficult for you to achieve?